Thursday, June 1, 2023

On Fire

 Growing up a daughter of a fireman, yes we called him a fireMAN, I was taught how to respect a fire.

We had family fire drills and a gather spot where we all were required to get to to be accounted for.

Fire was part of my growing up and I carried the respect for it into my adult life. We have a fire extinguisher in our house and garage and I know how to use it. I never had the occasion to use one until  now.

My tractor has been smoking for a bit now. After a few circles around the yard it stops. I was just finishing up the backyard and the tractor starts chugging and smoking. I pull up to the back deck and shut it off. It is really smoking and I know “where there’s smoke there’s fire”. 

I lift the lid off the engine and this happened. 

Holly smoke 
My neighbor yells over “I’ll go get my fire extinguisher” I told him that I had one.

I knew where one was. Under the sink. I ran right by the one in the garage. 

(After taking this picture) I got it out, surprised myself that I remembered how to use it, and I put the fire out. The neighbor comes over and commends me of how calm I was and had everything under control. Surprised myself too. I had to - I was home alone.

It was time for the conversation with Mike about spending the money and buying a new mower or hiring someone to do our yard-work for us. I confess I was not ready to give my yard over to someone else. I enjoy the gardens and yard and besides I need the exercise. 

So I got me a new tractor.

New Ride



It’s a big step up from my old one, 19 years older. I got the lawn mowed today with little fanfare, but it’s going to take me a little time to get used to it.


No comments: