Saturday, February 20, 2021

Fire Safety

 I am the daughter of a fireman. Now they call them all firefighters, but my Dad was a Fireman.

Fire safety was taught to all of us at a very early age. We had fire drills - I'm not too sure who's idea it was to have said fire drills, but we had them - There was 9 people in my family so it was very important to plan "in case of a fire" drills. We all had to exit the house and gather at a specific bush in the front yard and be counted.

I respect fire. 

We have a firepit in our backyard and I enjoy a good bonfire, but I know never to leave a hot fire and do not pour flammable liquid on hot coals.

We own a fire extinguisher - I know where it is stored and I know how to use it.

I check for the exits when I am going to a new public place and mentally plan a fire escape.

I try real hard to remember to keep an eye on candles burning.

I respect Fire.

So when the gas starter extension pipe on my fireplace broke off I kept a close eye on the flame that remained.

I notice last year that the firebox was crumbling and cracks were showing. I took a picture and went over to the place who installed our fireplace. He sold me some putty for the cracks and told me to buy a reflector for the back wall.

This year I had a bad feeling that what I did wasn't enough so I called "The Retired Fireman".

He came and took one look at our fireplace and told me I was lucky the house hadn't burned down. Not quite what a Fireman's daughter wants to hear. His father was also a fireman so he understood how embarrassed I was.

The broke pipe was like a flame thrower destroying the firebox.

He replaced everything and got me back on track to safely enjoying my fireplace again.

He recommended a moisture meter so the wood I was burning was dry. Wet wood - not good.

He also suggested a ash vacuum. 

We have had this fireplace for 15 years and I always swept and shoveled the ashes into a  bucket. 


It even has a light so I can see what I'm doing without getting down on my butt and leaning in.

I always say Use it up. Wear it out. Make it do. Or do without. Well, I am never going to be doing without this thing. It's a godsend.

Now I am back to enjoying safe, warm, beautiful fires, till the spring comes and winter weather goes away.



No comments: