Saturday, September 12, 2009

Darlene

We met when I married her ex husband. We got to know and love each other when I became her daughter-in-law. (Don't ask )


She had a raspy cigarette voice, but her words were warm and comforting. Oh she could let you have it with her "damn it, Karen" and she didn't single me out it was damn it for everyone.

Every Wednesday Mike and I would have our lunch date and we would meet at JB's where Dar worked. She knew I loved raspberry tea and would make sure that there was some freshly brewed waiting for me.
I would usually order soup and salad and she always made sure that there was a soup that I liked. Minestrone was our favorite.

We shared a love for liver and onions - I turned her on to rutabaga and carrots and I will never eat a brownie again without thinking of her. On Christmas she always made a big pan of brownies and sent the leftovers home with me.

I never got to bowl with her, but I would of loved the chance I just know we would of drank a few cocktails and threw some strikes and laughed a lot. I did get the opportunity to golf with her a few times. She wasn't very good, but it wasn't about anything but having fun together and we did do that.

Mine and Mike's birthday are both in September and she would sometimes forget Mike's, but never mine. Never!

She was as stubborn as a mule and once she had her mind set, seriously there was NO changing it. Does anyone need a converter box? She was convinced that her cable TV needed one and bought it.

She welcomed me into her family and always told me - You love my son then I will love you. Simple as that! That sums up the Darlene that I knew and loved, she was always forgiving, always helping, and always willing.

I'm gonna miss her beyond belief.

No comments: