Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Mom

Today is my Mother's 88th birthday.
What do you get someone that age? Every time you ask her she says she doesn't need anything. I was very surprised this year when she said she wanted a gift card to Walmart so she can get some personable items.
Good - I think I can handle that.

Thirty years ago, when Mom was the age I am now, it wasn't the case. It was a horrible time in my life and I was counting every penny. I just couldn't afford anything. So, I wrote Mom a poem. I actually wrote her the poem for Mother's Day that year and framed it for her for her birthday.

It still hangs on her bedroom wall along side the one I wrote for Dad that year.
It still means everything today!

According to Dear Abbey on this Mother's Day,
presents are out give her something to save.

Forget about the perfume, and the bath oil beads,
Write your thoughts down, give her something to read.

So here I am Mom, now where do I start?
Everything I say comes straight from my heart.

If I need one word to explain You - Now Mom don't faint!
I think I would say "My Mom she's a Saint"

You had seven kids, that itself is a feat,
A Mother like you is sure hard to beat.

When Bryan is driving me straight up the wall,
I wonder how you did it considering us all.

You worked full time, You gave your fair share,
But I never remember you not being there,

You cooked big meals at the end of your day,
We never went hungry, I guess that was your way.

We had clothes on our backs and toys all about.
I can never remember ever doing without.

You taught me what patience is all about.
I know I tried yours - there is no doubt.

I think of you often when things get askew.
I ask myself what would my Mom do?

You'd take a deep breath, take a second look,
Maybe turn the other way, whatever it took.

You gave us our freedom. You let us roam.
Until we pushed too hard, you then call us home.

I thought we had you fooled with the things we'd do.
But now looking back I know you knew.

You showed us guidance - How to give and to share.
Hell - We even did it when you weren't there.

I know now it's not easy being a Mother.
For the first time in my life I'm responsible for another.

I sure hope some of your mothering has rubbed off on me.
I want Bryan to know how good it can be.

For to have a Mother to love and know she loves you.
It's the greatest feeling shared by two.

There is one thing I need to say before I'm through
Mom - I Love You!!

No comments: