Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Mystery Reader

A while ago Stacy called and asked me if I would like to be "Mystery Reader" in Kaylyn's kindergarten class.

When Bryan was in grade school I helped out in his kindergarten class and was his room mother all through the six grade.

So I said "are you kidding - Hell Yeah!!!"

Today I went to Kaylyn's school with a book I picked out at the library to read to the class.

The student teacher was running the class today (the regular teacher was in teacher conferences) and she met me outside the room. She wanted me to announce myself and see if anyone could recognize my voice.

"Good morning boys and girls - I am your Mystery Reader today".

Kaylyn didn't even raise her hand for a guess. I walked into her room and the teacher said. "If this person belongs to you, stand up."

Thank God Kaylyn stood and announced. "That's my Grandma Karen." My heart melted.

The book I brought was about a boy who wanted to send his Granny who lived far far away a hug for her birthday. The boy wanted to send a real hug so he gives the postmaster a hug and he hugs the next person and so on and so on...

There is a line in the book that says "and he throws his arms out as far as he could" and every time I read that line I had all the kids spread their arms out. They were so so cute.

When the story was done all the kids came and gave me a hug. ALL of them. I wanted to cry it was so sweet.





Since the kids were having an early out day I hung around Genoa to be there when they got off the bus. It was a sunshine day and the boys played football in the side yard with their buddies and Kaylyn helped me pick out a nail polish color from her stash for my toenails. Thank god it wasn't for my nails cause I am now walking around with Blue Raspberry toes.

I love being a Grandma.

No comments: