Monday, January 7, 2013

Borderline Hoarder

I am a saver. I can see keeping some things for later use - Often.

Christmas Eve I gathered up the used boxes and stored them away for future use, not thinking anything of it. Then came Christmas at Sharens. Linda brought a dessert in a throw away aluminum container with a lid. When it was empty she asked Sharen if she wanted to keep it.
Her response was "No, but Karen might, she's the Hoarder."
After I got over the hurt I strongly disagreed. Mike agreed with Sharen, More ouch. I explained that I keep stuff like that for leftovers for my stepson to take home. He lives with his grandmother and doesn't always get a home cooked meal.
She conceded that maybe I was just borderline then, and I found I couldn't disagree with that.

I have to tell ya. It got me thinking.
The last week I have been letting go of things "I might need later."
I started with the closets. There were clothes in there I will never have need for and finally own up to it. The shoes were not a problem, because I don't save shoes - the few pair I have all get worn.

I then went and bought a shredder. After seeing what Mom had left for Linda to sort through I knew this was needed. . Even though seeing the budget ledger that they had from 1959 was fun to look at. This I knew was one place that I had to get under control. I finished with 4 bags of "very important papers :)" all disposed of.

I was getting exhilarated - now on to the bathroom. I started with the medicine cabinet anything older than 6 months went bye bye.  Old Makeup, nail polish, nail files, hair binders, creams and ointments. So Long!

Now the kitchen. Did you know that you should only keep spices for 6 months? I have to admit some of mine are years old. So I threw them out. I am not going to drink that designer hot chocolate that was a gift no matter how many times I see it there. (I tried moving some of this stuff to the front, but that didn't work) so out they all went along with anything else that, eating it would be put into question. "When in doubt, throw it out!".
The frig was farely easy most things there are fresh and eaten, but it did get a good cleaning.

Then on to the  "back ups"! Microwave, coffeepot, hand mixer, crock pot, iron, hair curlers, dishes, silverware, pot and pans - all are going to Goodwill or the trash.

I am heading to the basement next. The freezer is my first target, but I am going to investigate the whole place. Who knows how long this feeling is going to last.
Hey - Anybody want a antique pool table? FREE!!!! Seriously FREE!!!

1 comment:

Sue said...

SOOO impressed!I love a good clean-out. Just so you know, I read that when you let go of stuff, sometimes your mind will subconsciously create needs for the things you got rid of. So don't think this purge was a mistake -- that's just your mind being tricky! :)