Saturday, January 19, 2013

Trip into the City

We took Dylan into downtown Chicago for his birthday.
He had been on a train but does not remember it - he was 2. So we bought some tickets at Big Timber and off we go for a fun day downtown Chicago. We were blessed with a clear, sunshine day.

Our first stop was at Willis tower. That is one tall building. I HATE heights and only have been up there once - on our 5th wedding anniversary 22 years ago. I sat outside and waited while Mike took Stacy up there on her 16th birthday. Dylan is not so fond of heights either so we decided to face this thing together. Dylan adjusted real well, but I stayed back and snapped pictures.
Mike spent 50 cents to see if they could find Wrigley.
Mike lounging on the ledge. It wasn't very crowded and I got some good pictures of Mike and Dylan out there.
Dylan steps out to join Papa for a picture.
Then the invite that I dreaded. "Come on out Grandma!" I will not lie my heart was pounding. My thought went from, are you out of your mind, to I will probably never get to do this again with him, so I grabbed and squeezed  his hand and stepped out on the ledge. I also had my other hand on the wall - like that was going to stop me from falling. I can still not believe I did it. Mike saw me do it and still doesn't believe it.
So on to lunch. We decided to take him to Ed Debivics for lunch so we hopped on the brown line. This was also Dylans' first ride on the "L".  We took the long way around the loop so he could see the downtown.
The place was not crowded. Mike and Dylan enjoying their vanilla milk shakes with their silly hats on.
Mike offered to play the jukebox if Dylan knew any of the songs. Not a one - I on the other hand could of sang most of them. Mike was singing along to one of the songs and the waitress told him to shut up. Dylan cracked up!
Dylan went all out and ordered the Ed Debvics 1/2 lb "Big Wiener". The waitress from then on called him "The big Wiener". He likes his hot dogs plain so he was then referred to as the naked big wiener. He also got the birthday sundae served in a shot glass and the place clapped while the waitress sang a stupid song.
We had such a great time giving Dylan his first taste of downtown Chicago we are planning our next visit.

No comments: