Sunday, April 14, 2013

First Day of Vacation in DC

We have been so busy having a good time!
Our stop in DC was perfect.

We found the perfect hotel. A big thanks to Michelle and Kathryn for steering us in the right direction. It was 5 minutes from the Metro and we got a free ride to the station.
I was so happy I threw a couple tank tops in the suitcase at the last minutes it was in the nineties. We both wanted to be sure to see everything We put a little over 12 miles on the pedometer.
 Our first trip was around the White House. This is the backyard. I thought it would be bigger and the gardens that Michelle Obama planted were smaller than expected.
Our next stop was the American History museum. So much to see and read, you could spend the whole day there, but it was beautiful outside so we strolled through it. We came upon the section of presidents - Mike took off to see the presidents and I headed to the First ladies section.
I was WAY EXCITED to see this dress. I had just finished the book "Mrs Lincoln's Dressmaker" about the freed slaves that did her sewing and now I got to see one of the dresses.
 Next step was the Washington Monument in repairs. We stopped and kinda planned a route to take us to see all the monuments and this was the first one on our circle around the city.
 Down from there was the Vietnam wall. For being the age of the men in this war, Mike and I didn't know any one who died in the war. So lucky for that. I did have a pen pal that had stopped writing to me (I assumed he died), but I'll be damned if I could remember his name.
 Lincoln's was the next stop in our circle of seeing everything. I couldn't get over the silence at all these places. No one seemed to want to talk much.
 We saw the Korean memorial and head on over to MLK. I took this picture, cause I loved the white statue against the blue, blue sky.
 I probably should of listen to Mike and had someone else take our picture here. We could of got more blossoms in our background. The fragrance from the tree was intoxicating.
 We hiked around the Tidal Basin, visited the FDR memorial and on to the Jefferson Memorial. The one thing I noticed was there was no railing to stop people from stepping off the sidewalk right into the lake, but No one did.
 It was back to the Mall and a long walk down to the Capital. We walked by the castle (where the presidents vampire lives) and made a quick stop (much to Mike's disappointment - he wanted to stay longer) at the Air and Space Museum. I really wanted to go into the Printing and Engraving building, but we approached from the Jefferson Memorial and that was the exit - another 4 blocks to the entrance. Ugh, that was too far for me.
 Yes, that is a homeless person - with a laptop, powered by solar.
 All you Mitch Rapp readers, we found one of his hang outs.
 I am so disappointed in myself that I didn't get a picture of the News Museum. It had all the front page of papers around the US framed out  front and they change them everyday. So Cool! On our way back to the Metro we walked by the Ford Museum and the Inn across the street where Lincoln dies. (Also mentioned in the book I just finished)


It was a very long hot day. We head out for dinner and this is what our dash looked like.
I took many more picutres - all on my shutterfly.

No comments: