Saturday, August 16, 2014

Corn Boil

When I left my job I knew that I would not miss the people there.
I missed the job. The creative side of advertising. The solving of problems.
There is one person that I keep in touch with through emails, but that is about it.

Not the case with Mike's old job.
After 5 years these people still like each other.
Of course, all are retired and the conversations when they get together are not work related anymore, but they still get together once a month.
This month it was Larry's turn to pick the lunch place.
Larry is now working for Klein's and he has a "Corn Boil" picnic. 

The picnic was in Tyler Creek Forest Preserve. I forgot how beautiful it is there. The weather was perfect. No bugs. No Humidity. Just sunshine and fresh air.
The wives each brought a dish to pass.
 Larry boiled the corn out of the back of his pickup truck.
 The men gathered around the grill. No Surprise there. Larry had to move his melted butter to make way for the brats. Most watched as Mike and Gene cooked.
It was just nice to sit and visit with old friends.

I got reacquainted with some of the wives. Vicki, Gene's wife, has just started quilting. That conversation got me excited about sewing again. I gave her a few websites to check out. She has made 4 quilts and I laughed and told her to wait, if she likes it, it can be addicting. I am now on quilt #52.
Pam, Larry's wife, invited me along on her "Estate Sales" day.
I exchanged emails with a few of them and look forward to hearing from them.

We have been friends with Ed and Debbie for 30 years. It's been a few years since we have visited with them. The conversation continued like it was just yesterday.
It was so good to see them and meet their grandkids.


Yeah, 30 plus people showed up and All had a good time.

No comments: