Saturday, September 20, 2014

Kitchen Invasion

This past 2 days my kitchen has been invaded.
Steve was here from NY for his High School birthday bash (they are all 60) and he volunteered to make the cakes.

He brought his own cake pans (try explaining that at security at the airport) and decorating kit. His first stop, after Portillos, was the grocery store for ingredients for his master pieces and he was ready to take over my kitchen.
"Now Steve , What is the first thing you need to do before baking?"
He didn't have an answer - he also didn't have his new apron on! Every chef needs an apron.

I did not have a problem being his sous chef.
He makes all his cakes from scratch. He started out with chocolate frosting from the can, added cream cheese, powdered sugar , butter and vanilla and I don't know what else, but it made the most delicious frosting EVER. I will have to remember that one.


All I did was butter and flour the pans, wash the dishes, and  help locate ingredients he needed and tried to stay out of his way. Very hard for me to do in my own kitchen.


On Thursday he made German Chocolate, Key Lime, and a Carrot cakes.
I am not a cake eater, but I have to admit the kitchen smelled AMAZING!. The carrot cake got my mouth watering. I did try the topping for the German Chocolate. Yummy!

On Friday he started early. I am enjoying my coffee and reading the paper and he is baking in my kitchen before 8 am. 2 fudgy Chocolate Cakes.
One for his party and one for my twin. She LOVES cake and just so happens to have a birthday coming up.

I called and told her there was a surprise for her on my kitchen counter - she shows up with a fork.

Didn't take her long to get a taste and start moaning. We all had a taste. I have to admit I had a piece myself and loved it.
Steve is always welcome at our house, but next time we are baking cookies - Damn it!!!!

No comments: