Monday, July 6, 2015

Herman's Hermits

Growing up we always had music playing in the house. There were no head phones - transistor radios or record players played, and it depended in what room you were in on who's music you listened too.

Me I had mine tuned to Herman's Hermits. From 1965 to 1970 they were my go to music.
I had most of their 45's and if a new one came out you could find me down at Schneider's Music store in downtown Elgin, in the music booth checking it out.

I was a faithful member of their fan club and President of my middle school's chapter.
I still have my scrapbook started 50 years ago. It still has my Fan Club Membership letter in it.

I am kicking my self for not bringing the scrapbook with me - He was signing autographs after the concert. I'm sure he would of loved to have seen it too.
20 pages of Herman's Hermits

Cover of Tiger Beat Oct. 66 cost my 35 cents
BIG time fan!
It made perfect sense to head on down to Festival park to see them. I have never seen Peter Noone in concert. I was super excited. Tickets for the lawn seats were only $5, cheaper than the beers, $6.
Then to top that off the first 2 bands were goodies too.

Gary Puckett and the Union Gap and Gary Lewis and the Playboys.
I knew (and sang) all the songs but one.
Mike knew a few songs, but this was truly all about me. That's what he gets for marrying someone older.
Everyone there was in my age group and white. I guess black were into Motown back then.
If I could of made my way down to the group of ladies dancing in the aisle I would of joined them.
It was a perfect summer night.

 Mike and I got there pretty early and headed down front. We deiced early on that we didn't need to see the fireworks so instead of sitting in a crowd, we backtracked to sit just in front of the walkway, close to the beers, the port-a-potties (which were very clean) and a quick exit. We avoided all the traffic and parked in the Butera parking lot. While the fireworks were going off we strolled back to the car, stood for a few fireworks and then left.

I got to see my teenage crush in concert! Who cares that we are both in our 60's. NOT ME.....

No comments: