Saturday, August 5, 2017

New Coat of Paint

You know how you want to do something and it's hard to get going - You start by telling everybody you meet. Puts you into "I told someone so I have to do it" mentality. Kinda like a diet.
Well, Mike and I didn't have any more vacations planned for the summer and I needed a project so I decided to paint our house.
I told EVERYBODY "I'm going to paint my house!"
next question was always - Inside or outside?
OUTSIDE.
I told...
My family.
All my neighbors.
I told my dentist office.
I put my Chiropractor on stand by.
I asked Logan "If I get stuck will you come and help me - I'm painting our house!"
I found the perfect color. I was tired of the white. Boring! (Mike agreed).
It's a green/gray. Looks gray in the sun and green in the shade. I was kinda limited on the color. The windows are all aluminium and hunter green - Not changing the trim.
I bought a platform ladder. It's perfect and I can reach to the top of every side of the house.
I told the guy at Ace hardware, where I got the paint, I'm painting my house!
I treated myself to a new paint pan and roller.(which I ended up not using. I found a smaller foam roller worked better)
I Bought my first gallon. I decided to get one gallon at a time. I didn't know how much I needed (took 3 gallons) and I new this was going to take some time and I didn't want the paint to sit around.

Mike went to work - Sharen left on vacation. I had nothing to do and no reason to not get started. So I put my painting clothes on and grab my tools.
I had big dreams of painting a side every 2 days.
I had no idea the prep work involved.
Scraping! Caulking! and Power Washing! UGH
But I knew that stuff was important.
I started on the back side of the house.

After looking at this picture. I'm thinking - Can you even tell I painted? So I then started taking some before and after pics.
I knew asking for help was a no go. It was hot. I wanted to work at my own speed and my own schedule. So I just plugged along. Sometimes slugged along.
Me - plugging

Green in the shade
Mike did help me with taking the brackets off the down spouts so I could paint behind them. He also removed and replaced the light fixtures.

I was so happy to see some rainy days I really needed a break.
I was determined to finish up this week.
I turned the corner on Thursday and finally saw the end in sight. I waited to finished up on this side. It was in the sun. I did mention it was hot...
The house is painted. I still want to go around looking for spots that need some touch up but the white is all gone.
Front before


Front after

Oh my,  what a project. Our house is clean and freshly painted. Only took me 2 1/2 weeks.
Me, Karen, actually painted our freaking house.
All by myself.  I can say that because Sharen offered to help a few times after she got back from vacation, but she always stepped back so I could say it. "Yup, I did it all by myself!!!

No comments: