Thursday, April 12, 2018

Child Abduction

My daughter-in-law, Mary's father died.
Lloyd was a funny, all around good guy. He had some health issues that slowed him down but never seemed to bring him down.
I never knew the healthy Lloyd, but I heard some humdinger of stories about him.
Mike and I traveled down to St. Louis for the wake and funeral to help out in anyway we were needed. Figuring we would be called on to help with at least one of the boys.
They got through the wake playing with their Murphey cousins.
It didn't take Owen long to get antsy during the funeral and Bryan turns around and asks me to take him outside.
I got him outside kicking and screaming.
He was screaming for his Daddy and flailing around - crying.
I tried to take him over to the playground and set him down. He took off running to the church. I grabbed him and carried him to the other playground a little further away. Still screaming and kicking. LOUD!
That playground had a class from the school on it. I spot picnic tables a little further away and head on over there.
I finally get him calmed down some - using pictures on my phone.
I look up and in pulls a police car.
The cop gets out and asks if everything is ok. I honestly thought he was asking if Owen was ok.
Mike is with us by then. We both look at each other and tell the cop that everything is fine. We were just at the church for a funeral and Owen was acting up so we brought him outside. Not thinking anything of it.
He ask Owen his name and what my name is.
Thank the Lord Owen tells him.
Turns out one of the teachers saw me struggling with Owen and called the police.
If I think about it - It could very well look like an abduction. He was that upset.
He calls it in and tells them everything was ok.
He let Owen sit in the police car and turn the lights on and off.
He ask him again who I was and Owen says - "She's my best friend." Whew!
The cop gives him a high five and a fist bump. Tells us "Sorry for your Loss".
and drives off.

Lloyd would of loved this story.




No comments: