Thursday, April 26, 2018

Discrimination

So it was in the news that 5 black women in Penn. were asked to leave a golf course because they were playing too slow. That was on the second hole. What?
Granted they were playing a fivesome (with permission) and that could slow someone down, but on the second hole. 2 stopped playing after 9 because they were too shook up, but 3 planned on continue playing.
They were told they took too much time between nines and had to Leave. LEAVE? Really. police were called.

I am sadden. But not surprised.
Lets face it Golf is a white man's sport. Few blacks or Women for that matter, play.
I always said that if I was single I would hang out at a golf course, because the ratio of men to women is like 20 to 1.

I experienced the same thing, but dummy that I am, I had no idea what was going on.

Mike, Me, Sharen, Bobby (RIP)

This was our foresome for a lot of golf.
We played many area courses. It was at Cary Country Club in 1992 that we ran into discrimination. We had the ranger tell us we were playing too slow. Ok, maybe, it wasn't the first time we were told that.
We stopped for lunch (which was included) which was handed to us in Styrofoam containers (not like the other groups) and we were told we had to eat while playing.
The ranger seemed to be following us and once told us we were parked to close to the green. WTF, we have played a lot of golf and know how to play.

When we finished we always stopped in for  a beer. Bobby suggested we go into town to the Cary Pub.
We get there and order and tell her we just got done playing golf at the CCC. She looked at Bobby and said very surprised. "You Too!?"
She chuckled and  told us our first pitcher was on her.

Then it dawned on us (Meaning me and Sharen). They treated us that way because of Bobby. Sharen and I wanted to go back and raise holy hell, but Bobby talked us down. It wasn't his first time being treated that way at a golf course and sadly wasn't his last.
I have never gone back to that place. There are plenty of area courses to play besides them. It's a shame too - I really like the course.

No comments: