Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Segways Rides with Kaylyn

It was time for Kaylyn's 13th birthday trip into the city. Every time we asked her just what she wanted to do, it would change. I decided to make the decision for her. I told Mike that one way she could see everything and have fun is the Segway tour. He loved the idea (we both have never tried them) and planned our day for us.
We took the 7:40 train into the city and jumped on the Orange line. Both first times for Kaylyn.
waiting on the platform
After a few wrong turns and some friendly directions from a UPS guy (I know there is GPS on our phones) we made it to the Segway place for our 10am tour.
After some individual instructions from Will we were off.


Mike taking instructions
I was so nervous, but it wasn't so bad, for some reason my feet would get so hot and it's not easy standing still - balancing. Mike, of course, had to signed us up for the 3 hour tour. It took you to more places. I would of been happy with just one hour, but the day wasn't about me now was it. We went up through Grant park made a few stops for some history talk. It wasn't easy for me to stand still. I did have to step off once before I fell off - Unlike Mike who just fell. By this time my feet were so hot. Mike's knees were stiff and Kaylyn was loving every second of it. We stopped at the fountain for pictures. It was a perfect day. The sun was shining and a beautiful breeze off the lake.
Kaylyn took her helmet off for each stop




We headed south and zipped around Soldiers Field and stopped again. I was getting better about getting on and off by then, but my feet were still hot. We then headed on over to Northernly Island and the hidden beach there. Apparently not to many people know about it. Then on over to the Museum Campus.



Aquarium stop
Planetarium stop
So even though it was a 3 hour tour we did get to get off and walk around a little bit. Thank God - My feet were HOT.
We had a group of 8 and the other 5 were from England.
When they travel, they take the Segway tours first thing in each city so then they know where they wanted to revisit. The aquarium was top of their list.
I liked to be at the back of the pack so I could go at a slower pace and the Father of the group hung back there with me. He told me he liked to go slower too. I really think he felt sorry for me - Old lady going slower.
They had 3 teenage boys and you guessed it Kaylyn had her eye on one of them. He was very cute in her defense.


What a great way around a city - so much ground covered.
Kaylyn's choice for lunch was Dick's Last Resort. Mike and I have been to these before so we knew what to expect. Mike told our waiter it was Kaylyn's birthday. She was loving the attention.
Selfie with Rob our waiter
The restaurant is right on the river so it was a no brainer to take the water taxi back to the train station. It's a great way to get there without fighting traffic or walking - my feet were still hot.
Papa and Kaylyn
We managed to catch the 3:30 train back home.
waiting for the Metra
We had a very special time with our grand daughter. Mike and I are both glad that she wanted to spend a day with us and that we could keep up with all that she wanted to do.
Lets hope we gave her a memory she will never forget.













No comments: