Sunday, March 28, 2021

New Kitchen

 A sweet young Sales Lady came out - spent about 2 hours with us listening to everything I needed ( I loved that she always said needed and not wanted) and kept the price under my set target $$. I had six weeks to wait and damn if I wasn't getting a new kitchen. The base cabinets were in great shape so all we needed were new doors, new drawers, and new soffit. I knew exactly what I needed - something simple and something NOT white. We decided on cool grey.

I was keeping the counter tops and Mike and I were planning on doing the backsplash and the painting ourselves.

All we had to do was clean everything out like we were going to move. 

 I'm thinking what a great time to sort things as I cleaned. A box for me, a box for saving special pieces for family, and the rest to Goodwill. It wasn't as difficult as I thought. Goodwill got the most of it and I was ok with that. I hope someone gets what they can use from us. Our living room was now also temporary kitchen storage.


It was happening. 

Two men came, who I found out were brothers, when I asked them if they worked much with each other because they worked so well together. That made them laugh.


Old doors and soffits coming down

End of Day 1
For 2 days they would come promptly at 7:30 and usually cleaned up and left by 2:00.
They played some funky rock station, but I didn't seem to mind. They answered all my questions and didn't care when I got in their way getting to my frig.
Day 2 had laminate going on the face of the cabinets and new doors and my simpler soffits installed.


Dan laminating cabinet face



New Soffit and Doors

They left on Day 2 with the promise of finishing by noon on day 3. My homework was to decide where I wanted my knobs and handles placed on the doors. 

I knew that I didn't want knobs on my bottom cabinets. I can't tell you how many times I would catch my pants leg or pocket on a knob just walking by it.

Don installing my handles

They kept their word and all work was done and kitchen was cleaned up by 11;30 on Day 3.

Just one hiccup in the whole thing. I had a door on my garbage can cabinet and I wanted a full pullout with the door attached. It came in wrong. I can wait.

Left side of kitchen before/after.

before

after

Right side of kitchen before/after

before

after

Now on to painting and backsplash. I promised myself to take my time with my choices. Mike and I were doing the work so no hurry on deciding.



No comments: