Monday, August 25, 2008

Walking the course

Sharen is up in MN somewhere sitting in a boat with a fishing pole in her hand, in a lawn chair with a book in her hand, or in the lodge with a beer in her hand. The one place she isn't, is here walking with me. So I decide to walk with Jon today. He was playing Medinah in a Illinois PGA tour. His t-time was 1:20 so I worked a 1/2 day and headed out to the course.
The guy at the gate takes one look at my sun top and tells me to pull over. You can't wear that here we have a dress code. Oops! Lucky for me I had a collared shirt, but the idiot wouldn't let me in. He said it had to have a collar and sleeves and he hands me a piece of paper with the rules. It said collared shirt OR sleeves. He made me change in the gate house. Creepy...
I hurry up and call Carrie who was coming at the turn and told her about the dress code. No Problem, she got right in with a NO collar shirt. Huh! Me thinks the guys a perv and into older women.

Anyway Jon started out on 10 - dogleg right. He could of had a birdie,(very do-able) but hit a tree and settled for a par. He bogeys the next hole but comes back strong with a long putt for birdie on the next hole. Bogeys 15 & 17 for a 37.
After Carrie showed up he settled down and birdies the 1st hole - bogies #2 had 2 birdies in a row and then 2 bogies. NO Blowup holes. Just consistent golf. He shot a 73. Par is 71. Course #1, the one that he was playing, had only 3 par 5's and a shit load of long par 4.

I forgot how much fun it is to watch him in action. I never missed one of his high school meets and I will not miss this Wednesday. I already told them at work that if he makes the cut (top 60) I won't be in and if he keeps up his game from today on Tuesday he will. He was tied for 7th when we left with only 15 golfers to go. The camera will be with me on Wednsaday though (screw the rules) so I will have some pictures to post when he wins this thing. I might carry some ear plugs too. The airplanes pass over every 30 seconds really loud. I can't believe they are not distacting to the golfers.

No comments: