Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Back to School?????

I received a letter in the mail from the KCDEE (Kane County Department of Employment and Education) just the title made it look official and something I couldn't ingore. It was for a meeting about a new federal program the TGAAA (Trade and Globalization Adjustment Assistant Act 2009) another big title.
It turns out that any job that was lost because of outsourcing out of the country entitles you to a federal grant for job training paid for by our lovely Federal Government.
I went to the meeting with an open mind because I knew from Mike's old job that there was money thrown at people through grants. The lady in charge told us that 60 people were invited to attend - 21 showed up. Most of the people there were Hispanic from a factory that was shut down and the work sent to Mexico. It was so sad to hear these Women just asking for another factory job - None of them wanted to go back to school or better themselves. One guy just wanted his GED. Very sad!

I had no idea that I would qualify for the program - turns out my old newspaper threw my name in with the others that were let go in the Ad/Production Dept that was outsourced to India, so I was offered assistant to go back to school.

Holy Sh*t! ME back to school. This program will pay me the amount of my present unemployment AND pay for all my schooling. (tuition, books, fees) everything.

I had to absorb this before I took it seriously and now I am looking into a second career. Something using my creative side.
I have to go down and complete an application and of course be accepted, but the lady in charge didn't see any reason I couldn't do what I wanted.

I will keep you posted and wish me luck.