Saturday, June 11, 2011

Old Memories

I was about 8 or 9.
We had just bought a house big enough for our family of 9 and it needed a lot of work. Dad, being a fireman had 2 days off in a row and spent his time at our new house making it into a home.

I had the mumps with my twin, (Yes-Carrie, twins do get sick together too) so Dad had to take us with him as he went to work on the house. I can remember laying on a mattress on the floor and watching Dad deal with the layers and layers of wallpaper and paint. He would rip off the paper only to find plastered wall that needed some TLC underneath.

Deja Vu all over again.
Mike and I have spent a few days this week over at Bryan and Mary's new digs.
Stripping wall paper in EVERY room off walls and ceilings.

The bathroom wallpaper covered this wonderful turquoise blue. UGLY - right?
Bryan said that he could live with it till they tear the bathroom out for a complete make over. I couldn't stand it so I brought the left overs from our bathroom and covered it up. Now the salmon and black tiles have tan walls just like ours.

Before

After

Paper coming down in the babies room.
Can I just say - That climbing a ladder is not one of my favorite things -and so now I have come to also hate 10 foot ceilings. My two-step ladder just wouldn't let me reach to the top.


Painting is all about prep work.
Mike washing off (after sanding off) wall paper paste in the master bedroom.

Me sanding down the patch around the base boards. It seems to be working me doing the ground work and Mike "up the ladder" work. I had dust every where, notice the fan in the window!!!


We took down some paper in the living room/dining room only to find more paper underneath. Under layers of paint. Bryan and Mary haven't chosen the paint for these rooms so we just left it for later.

Mike removing the hardware from the drapes. She had these beautiful windows covered in 3 layers of drapes. Really - 3 layers?

Is it a lot of work? Of course it is, but We look at it as "working out" because when we are finished for the day - My thought are on one thing only and that is the hot tub.

2 comments:

LaurenK said...

I actually really like the tile in their bathroom!

This is totally what our last month has consisted of too! Right down to the THREE layers of drapes hiding all the windows!

Mich said...

you are right - what a great workout!
I cannot wait to see the place!