Sunday, December 4, 2011

Beat Aunt Karen

Back when my bowling average was 175 and my nephews, Andy and Jon, were both in bowling leagues, Andy at Diversey Bowl in Chicago and Jon was away at college in Myrtle Beach, I would challenge them to "Beat Aunt Karen" and send them an email with my bowling scores each week.

It was a good battle and sometimes they would actually beat me. :)
I never had the opportunity to bowl with them head to head until last night.

Our bowling team was bowling against Jon, Erica, Carrie and Dave in our once a month Saturday night mixed league.

Mike was out with his back so I was bowling anchor. Jon was likewise for the other team. Game 2 it came down to the tenth frame me vs Jon. They had us by 1 pin going in.
We both had spares in the ninth - after some discussion Jon went first. Strike!!!
Jon was on a roll the whole game - me I had one strike the whole game. Things were not looking good.
I wiped my ball of all grease, took a deep breath, stared at my mark, got my fingers just perfect in the ball and walked up to that line, and threw the perfect 9 count. Damn...

Jon's next ball an 8 count. I still had a shot when I picked up my spare, all he had to do is miss it. Nope the little bugger picked it up. I struck! we lose by 1.
Jon's game 191 - me 139. Hey, it's a team sport.

The third game came down to the tenth also, but this time we had them by a few. Jon throws a split in the tenth and the pressure was off. I marked - we win!

Interesting side note -  When I was in Wichita bowling in the Women's National tourney at the same time Jon was away at school, we got partnered on our pair of lanes with a team from Myrtle Beach. Yup, the same alley where Jon and his buddies would bowl. The lady we bowled with was actually the owner and she knew Jon and the boys from Coastal very well. Small World!

No comments: