Sunday, December 4, 2016

Call 9*1*1

I have been talking about getting our air ducks clean for some time now. We have lived here 12 plus years and have not have them cleaned. With Mike stuck at home for awhile I thought it was time.

I called Sears and they came out the next day.
Everything was going smooth until our CO detector went off. I noticed that their truck was parked right up next to our garage. It is a short 15 ft. to the basement stairs. They closed the garage door. I opened all the windows and turned on the ceiling fans.
They left (which pissed me off. Don't they care about the CO) and Mike and I decided to take a ride and let the house clear out.

When we came back the CO detector was still beeping.
"I'm calling the Fire Department"
Mike wasn't too keen on the idea, thinking the neighbors would assume it was for him. Too bad - I really don't care what they think and I am getting scared that the Sears techs. messed with the furnace and something was seriously wrong..

I called 9*1*1 and the Elgin Fire Department came out. We are in the South Elgin Fire protection district, but they were all busy.

2 guys went around the house and tested every room. Lt. Smith headed down stairs to the basement. The reading down there was 80. They hauled huge fans in - opened all the basement windows (which I think is the first time they have been open) and turned off the furnace.
The upstairs reading dropped immediately. The nice  boys assured me that I did everything right. I had fresh batteries in the detector and it wasn't expired. Ok I didn't know those things expire.
They got everything back to normal and recommended that we have the furnace looked at before turning it back on,  just in case.

Now mind you Mike is home from the hospital for just 3 days at the time and we have no heat and no CO detector.
Sharen shows up with a new digital read out detector for us. I think she caught the panic in my voice when we talked. I called a friend, who's son plays football, basketball and baseball with our grandson in Genoa, and fixes furnaces for a living. Vince showed up in a couple hours and looked over the furnace.
After giving me a huge hug, assuring me that he won't leave until he is certain it isn't the furnace, He checked out everything and furnace was OK.

Must have been the exhaust from the truck and the vacuum in the Sears truck.
Now I'm pissed. After filling out the customer service survey online - I called Sears.
The manager called me right back. Said all the right things, except we will not charge you for the visit.

The guys did a good job on the air duct cleaning I actually think it sounds better.
But damn, it still bothers me that such a stupid mistake was made that could of been deadly.





No comments: