Thursday, December 1, 2016

Grateful He's OK!


I am grateful for the men and women who decide medicine as a profession. You have to give your love one up to them and know that they are going to fix it.
I never felt helpless. They all reassured me that they had this and were there to help him. I knew I couldn't do anything about it, so I put my trust in their hands. God Bless them ALL.
From the doctor who gets excited to work on a healthy heart. He actually was looking forward to operating on Mike, cause his heart was a "good one".
To the surgeons assistant - Who had all the answers for whichever Dr. from the practice looked in on Mike. Rhonda ruled...
To the male nurse who packed him in ice when his fever spiked and gave me a blanket cause he turned down the temp. in his room. He spent 38 minutes ( I had to focus on something besides the beeping of the heart monitor, so yes I counted the minutes) untangling Mike's IV and heart wires so it was easier for Mike to get a walk in.
The 2 best nurses, both named Heather. They smiled and answered every stupid question I had. They made him comfortable. Again, I wanted to be the one that could help him, but I knew they were better at it than I could ever be. I didn't mind leaving him to clear my head knowing that Heather was his nurse for the day or night.
To the Physical Therapists that let Mike walk as fast and as much as he could. I warned her not to challenge him. He surprised them both.
To the nurse assistants. Taking vitals and fetching water and ice chips with a smile.

I am grateful to all the support I got from our family and friends.
Sharen was my rock. She sat with me during his surgery. She made me laugh. She held me when I cried. She brought me homemade pumpkin bread for breakfast.


Again with the twin thing. I wore blue because it's Mike's favorite color. She wore blue cause she felt like it.

The nurses teased  me because I had both mine and Mike's phones beeping. "He must have a lot of people who care about him." Then it dawned on me Yes! Yes he does. I didn't mind responding after that.

They send you home with a heart shaped pillow for coughing and sneezing. This is the only thing that he will be hugging anytime soon which is too bad because Mike is a great hugger.
I had the kids and grand kids sign his pillow so he still can hug them.

His heart pillow
 
I am grateful to Linda for making a couple meals for us.

I am so grateful to have him home. He has been home for 9 days now. He is behaving and getting stronger. His weight is way down, but his spirits are good. He's not too happy with all the meds he has to take or that he has to sleep on his back. (the recliner is his new best buddy), but he know that these are all small prices to pay for a healthy future.

2 thumbs up








No comments: