Monday, September 18, 2017

Forgiveness

So awhile back as I was out front painting our house our neighbor drives up on his golf cart. He parks it in the street and walks up the driveway.
This is the same neighbor who 5 years ago told me I was a liar and a bad person that he never wanted to look at ever again, so I'm thinking he wants to complain about the paint color. So I jokingly asked him if he likes the color.

He asks me if he can talk with me.
I'm thinking - That's strange, and tell him sure.
He tells me he is sorry about how he has been treating us these last 5 years. He knew that he was wrong and as the years go by it was harder and harder for him to know what to say.
He apologized and asked me if I could forgive him.
He said he has been praying about it and wanted to say something when Mike got sick (but again didn't).
I told him how bad he hurt me and again he asked for my forgiveness. At this point he had tears in his eyes. I knew he meant every word.
I told him "of Course, I would forgive him."
He said that he knew it was too much to ask to be friends, but could we be "neighbors" again.
I'm thinking "Well that was all on you buddy." But what I said was Yes, neighbor.
I gave him a hug (which he asked for) and went back to painting as he drove away.

I knew it was the right thing to do and I feel so good about doing it. Forgiveness is a powerful feeling.
His wife came over and told me that he just turned 80 and has prostate cancer. She was glad that we made up.
I am glad I didn't know all that before I forgave him.
I'm also glad we made up.

No comments: