Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Hot Time Summer in the City Day 1 & 2


New York is one HOT city!!! It never got below 90 degrees.
Not many people are fortunate enough to have many "GOOD" friends. Mike (and I think me too) has one in Steve. Mike & Steve have known each other since grade school. They became really good friends attending ECC doing theater. Steve moved around pursuing his passion for the theater. Mike was always there to help him move, because that is what you do for your friends. I even helped a couple times when he moved once in St. Paul and once in Chicago. Well Steve has found his "home" town. New York, New York. He has lived there for 5 years now and Mike and I decided that we haven't seen him in awhile and really needed to see how he was doing. Steve was overjoyed to know we were coming and said that he would treat us to a vacation we would never forget. He promised I would be treated like a queen. I cry to think how he went to such extreme planning and thoughtfulness for us. Not to mention the money spent!!!

Thursday 7/17.
Left Elgin 6:00am
Arrived in NYC - Grabbed a Cab (only my 4th time in a Taxi)..
Got to Steve's apartment in Harlem.(127th & Convent) Dropped our bags off and off we go on the Subway. (Steve bought a pass). Steve's apt. is only 1 short block away from the 125th exit. I even got to see a subway rat.

The Subway is a production in itself. Too many strange people, doing strange things, wearing strange clothes, and I caught myself staring at the array of strange shoes.
I never realized the subway is three stories deep. We grabbed some lunch on 42nd St. and then went to Time Square.
Walked and gawked and got caught up in the crowds.


Time to get ready for our 1st Broadway play. Wicked.


Caught some dinner at the
Stage Deli.
This is my Alex Rodriquez sandwich. Way too much food! Notice the empty beer glass - Brooklyn Lager,YUM. Took me 1 beer to figure out how to eat this huge thing.




Wicked was at the Gershwin Theater. Fancy! I loved it!!!
Back home to bed. 12:30.


Friday 7/18.
Out the door by 10:00 - got to a BBQ place in
Chelsea near Steve's work place for lunch at noon. I decide to buy lunch so I grab each ticket while Steve is in the bathroom and head up to pay. $84.97 - WTF!!! You have got to be kidding me - for lunch. We pass a nail place on the way to Steve's office and we stop and Steve treats me to a manicure. Nice... I'm beginning to feel like that queen Steve promised me I would be.We stop in Chelsea Studios to see Steve's place of work. It's great to know that our friend has found something that he can do around the profession that he loves. He is the Studio Manager. Everyone there respects him and his work. He did admit to being star struck at times when his idols come in to rehearse. He has met some really big names! I love to hear his stories. Whoppie was just there rehearsing her role in Xanadu, she starts in August.
On to Ground Zero.
They really have this all blocked off with construction - They want to finish building by 2010. There is a memorial at the "Chapel that stood". We stop in to see the exhibits and I gotta say it was very overwelming.
Our surprise from Steve for tonight - tickets to Xanadu. There are seats on stage for 28 people. Yup! We sat ON the F*in' stage. I could not stop smiling and Mike can say he finally made it in a Broadway production.

It was a wonderful experience! Here is me and Mike after the show. Still smiling.
We go back to the Stage Deli to get some of that carrot cake I saw last night and Steve springs another surprise on us.
Carriage ride through central park.

The glow sticks around our necks are from the play. Our ride was at night so it was a little hard to see all that the driver was pointing out to us until we got to "Tavern on the Green". OMG--- It was beautiful. There must of been 1000 laterns in the trees.
To bed. 1:00 am
Stay tuned for Day 3,4 & 5.

1 comment:

Mich said...

holy smokes - you really were treated like a queen. How fantastic! Cannot wait to hear about the rest of your trip!