Friday, May 25, 2012

10th year

This is our 10 year helping put flags on graves of soldiers in Mount Hope Cemetery for Memorial Day.
It always makes me feel good. We have never had a bad weather day and this year was no exception. Most years I take a volunteer with me who hasn't done it before and guild them through the cemetery pointing out which graves need a flag. No I don't remember each year -We are given maps.

This year I got to direct Mike and Brian around. Mike was so cute every time he placed a flag he would stand and salute.

We have the same block each year at the cemetery and after we get done there are 2 graves that I make a point to visit. The first is my mentor and old, dear friend from my first job at the school district, Ruth Hickey. I can't believe it's been 10 years since she died. The second I don't know at all, but we have the same last name Peggy Sue Millikan. She was 18 when she died and I can't help but wonder what her story was.

Every year it is a different group of people volunteering. Mike and I are the only ones who have been there all 10 year. This year the group is 4 current employees at the Inspection department and 7 past employees.

Group Pic.

No comments: