Tuesday, September 8, 2020

New Deck

As I sit on the front deck and watch our neighbors' houses getting painted I'm thinking our front deck could use a coat of paint. I was impressed that they came over and asked what color I thought they should paint. They claimed we were the ones having to look at it. I told them to get away from the cream and go with a darker color - match the darker bricks in the lower half. That's exactly what they did.
I did not want to paint our deck again. I'm thinking it's time to get a maintenance free deck. Mike was up to the task so off to Menards we go. We were lucky to find what we wanted in stock. Turns out there are a lot of people out there doing landscaping.
Dylan was more than happy to help us out. He was a huge help in getting the old decking off.
Dylan hard at work
 It really went pretty smooth. Dylan got the top ripped off and they went right into screwing down the new composite decking.
Dueling Drills
Mike must of planned this deck the right way when he first built it, because the lower deck was exactly 12 feet the size of the boarding so no measuring and cutting.
Just ripping up the old and screwing down the new.
Team work at it's best
I told the boys to throw the old decking under the new deck. Not sure if that's right, but saves us the hassle of getting rid of them.

Lower level is fitted
There was a spot where the frame was rotting and Mike had to take a trip to the store and do some repair work, but nothing he couldn't handle.
The next day he put up the cladding. (I had no idea what it was either) It's the boards going around the sides.
New deck
We now have a safe place to sit and wav at the walkers. For living at a dead end street with no sidewalks, we have a bunch of walkers.

No comments: