Sunday, September 20, 2020

PGA Champion

 


I enjoy watching Jon play golf - always have. When I found out that he was going to play in a PGA tournament at his home course I wanted to watch. It's 10 minutes from home.

First match was Wednesday Afternoon. I had to go by myself cause Sharen was up fishing in Wisconsin. I go out to the club just in time for tee off at noon.

Now this was match play. just 2 golfers going up against each other on each hole, beat the other on that hole and earn a point. Both were riding in their own cart. After the first hole It was very clear that I was not going to walk and keep up. Jon was being followed by 8 carts with men from the club who had played that morning and stuck around to watch. He asked one of the members riding alone if I could ride with him. He was very nice and said Yes. Turns out Andy played softball against Mike years ago in South Elgin. We got along very well. 

Jon played good enough to win at hole #15, but it was not his best showing.  He moves on to the next round Thursday Morning. 16 players of 64 left. Shot of the day. Put it on and 1 putted.


Thursday morning 8am. Mike had left me a cart so I could ride by myself. There were signs of the old competitive Jon. A couple birdies an eagle - I was having so much fun watching him win again. He beat Cameron on hole #16. Mike finished work and joined me for the afternoon match where Jon beat Jeff. It took all 18 to get the job done.

Maybe Jeff was a little intimidated with the crowd in the afternoon following Jon. When the men watch they clap on great shots and then move on. That afternoon he had the "Tiger Effect" the ladies league showed up and were not shy on cheering for Jon. He had one mishap. Drove left in the other fairway - Hit a tree - Hit the cart path and ended up in the flower bed around the halfway house. He got a free drop from there (below) and stuck it on the green. 


Mike asked Jon if there was anything that needed fixing on the course (which was in awesome shape). He told Mike (laughing) to cut the left ruff on 5. Mike wasn't sure if that was illegal or not, but you can bet that was the first place he headed at 5 am Friday morning.

Sharen and Dup drove home a day early for the final four match on Friday morning. This time Mike joined me for that round too. It was very clear to see that Jon was in a zone and answered all the holes lost. with one he won. It took all 18 to get the win. 

OMG Jon was in the championship match against the guy who won this tournament the last 2 years. 

I don't think I have ever seen Jon hit the ball so well as he did the last round. He won the first 2 holes and never let up. I knew when he hit the green on the 203 yard par 3 4th hole he was feeling it. He missed the first 4 rounds. He hit fairways and greens and when it counted he made the putt. He was not going to let this guy win - Not in his backyard.

Jon made an eagle on 14 and the fight was fading in Garrett the reigning champ. Jon won on the 16th hole and the tourney. 

The green was surrounded with Jon fans. Men who have played with Jon. Ladies who have taken lessons from him, a kid who was in the Jr. program who begged his Mother to call him in sick from school to watch Jon. The workers came out after mowing and raking and blowing leaves since 5 am. The kitchen staff showed up with champagne. 

 These are the people that Jon works hard and long hours for. It was very apparent they appreciate him and support him. And were proud of him. And Jon acknowledge all of them.

But there wasn't anyone more proud than his Mom and Dad, Who have supported Jon in his golf journey from day 1. OK, I was pretty proud too.


Erica and his kids got there for the trophy presentation. The family that gives his life meaning.

I have seen Jon hoist some trophies during his HS playing days. Individual wins and team wins. I was there when he got the City of Elgin tournament trophy. I even have a first place one from a tournament that I played with him. 



Man, this was the sweetest and largest one!

This was against professional Golfers. Men who's job is GOLF. 

Jon is a Professional Golfer who won a Major Tournament.

That's a big deal!!!!!!!



No comments: