Thursday, December 6, 2007

"The City"


The main reason I go into "The City" is to see a game. Yesterday Mike and I went in to site see. We parked up at Bryan's place and took the el downtown. Let me say I think trains should travel on ground ONLY. Don't like heights and hate tunnels even more, but I can understand why this mode of transportation has to be saved in Chicago. It was easy to get around for $2.00.
We stopped at Macy's and checked out the windows (very disappointing) and went to the see the "tree" at the walnut room. I got a little girl to stand still and smile so her Mom could take her picture with the tree in the background. I think she was fasinated of the lady in the funny hat. We wandered over to Daley plaza and hooked up with Andy and Michelle for lunch.
It was cold out - even for the pigeons.




Andy took us in circles to get to Monk's. It is two doors down from a liquor store that Andy and I had the misfortune, a few years ago, of witnessing an almost robbery. The guy brings out a baseball bat and the robber was scared off - scared me too. Nothing is dull with Andy.
Sitting at lunch I realized what the attraction is for Chicago. We had no idea what the outside world was doing sitting in the back of that bar. We could have been in northern Wis. and we were only steps away from busy streets and high rises. When we got out it was snowing. Mike and I walked down to Millennium park. I haven't seen it before. The rink was getting swept so no skating and there was no one at the bean. It was snowing really hard.

We decided to walk to Water Tower place. Headed down Michigan Avenue. It was a nice walk to the tower. Stopped in HawkQuarters so Mike could buy a t-shirt. Found a Radio Shack. (No - They didn't have my cable). Had a cup of coffee and people watched at Scared Ground on the second floor. I really just wanted to get off my feet. Backtracked to find an el stop and found Garrett's popcorn. Picked some up for a lady Mike works with. And that was the extent of our shopping in Chicago.
Headed back to Bryan's and had dinner with him and his roommate Mary at Frasca on Roscoe. Nice way to spend a vacation day.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That cord does not exist!