Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Mary Margaret

When I was growing up Sharen and I had to attend Catholic school during the summer. We would try anything to get out of going. Classes would start with mass at the church across from the school.

When Mike and I went to church last Sunday I was disappointed to see the piano up front covered - No music? Then I heard the organ start up and the choir up in the choir loft and I almost burst out laughing. It brought back the time that Sharen and I got caught sneaking up into the loft trying to get away from school. There are two place that you do not go in church without an invitation one is behind the altar and the other is up in the choir loft. It had a wooden stair case that wound up and reminded me of a Nancy Drew Mystery Book.

We had a teacher by the name of Sister Mary Margaret. She carried a ruler, but all she did was tap your desk. Her big thing was taking you for a walk during recess back and forth in front of the school and made you recite prayers. You didn't get to play on the playground and the whole world could see that you were getting a talking to. We used to call her "the Walker Taker."

Now every time I get a email from Bryan's Mary Margaret or when I hear her Father affectionly says her name, I smile and it brings back memories of my Mary Margaret, the "Walker Taker".
Maybe the man upstairs is telling me to smile more, by putting back a Mary Margaret into my life. I think it's working! I'm beginning to love the name.

1 comment:

Sharen said...

Ahh - I remember her walks well. She was about as tall as we were but everyone was still very much afraid of her.