Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Elgin Public Museum

I read in the newspaper that the Elgin Public Museum was looking for used books for a fund raiser.
I have a bunch from long ago when I was in a hard cover books club. Why we didn't get rid of them when we moved into Shady I am still not quite sure, but we didn't. Mike built bookcases and they have been collecting dust in our basement.
What better way to spend a rainy day than to pack them up and take them to the Museum.

This museum holds some pretty darn good memories of my childhood. Just like the pool.

We, as in me, Sharen and Barb,  spent many a cloudy, non-swim days in and around this museum.

I dropped the books off at the back door and entered the front to take a step back in time.
The museum hasn't changed that much. The outside is still the same.
 But the inside looks a little different - as far as I can remember. The first thing I did was go in search of the 2 headed calf. Turns out the poor thing deteriorated and lost one of his heads. I did find this old, old display case full of birds. The birds are all brown now, but I can remember it.
 The huge buffalo head was still there. I think in the same spot.
 The second floor or balcony was one of our favorite spots. Still the same.
 This display used to be in the basement (which is now closed). It is now on the second floor. Boy I remember daring each other to climb over the ropes (back then there was just ropes guarding the displays). Me, all you had to do was Dare me - Barb was a double dare and for Sharen, most times, it took Double Dog Dare, but we all sat in this canoe at one time or another.
 The inside still has the beautiful tile floors and thick wood railing. Still very beautiful.
 I was most excited to see this!!
IT'S STILL THERE!!!
They moved it closer to the building.
This is a petrified wood stump that we used to take turns climbing and sitting on top of. I think it was more fun that climbing on the playground. We all had our picture taken sitting on this thing. I know ouch, right.
   Damn some good memories came flooding back.

1 comment:

Sharen said...

Great times at Lord's park...two great posts that bring back a lot of good memories!!!