Saturday, November 22, 2008

Family Food

I was at the grocery store this morning picking up some food and the ingredients that I needed for my Thanksgiving dishes. My Nebraska Corn and Rutabagas and carrots.
While I was at the Heartland Blood Center yesterday (My iron was too low last Friday) the conversation got around of course to Thanksgiving Food.
There are 2 black ladies who work there who have potato salad instead of mashed potatoes. I laughed at them - last year we went through 10lbs of potatoes. Char has to make sweet potato pie or her family will not come and the other it's homemade mac & cheese.
I told them about my Nebraska Corn and how my kids look forward to it and I HAVE to make it or it wouldn't be Thanksgiving to them. My Thanksgiving comfort food is the Rutabaga and Carrots. It was what I looked for every Thanksgiving growing up. I'm not sure where the recipe came from, but Mom grew up on a farm maybe it's from there. Anyway, I get to bring it this Thursday and my mouth is watering already.

No comments: