Sunday, December 21, 2008

Kevin

Thursday night at bowling was our Christmas party!
The place was crowded and I noticed a black man standing behind our lanes next to the bar. My first thought was to watch our cell phones and purses. He just stood there watching - so being who I am - I went up to him and asked him if he was waiting for a lane. "No, I just came to watch some bowling. It looks like you are having fun."
We were! The bowling alley buys drinks for everyone at Christmas time and seeing I'm still on the wagon, Michelle and Deanna drank a shot for me and Cheryl! (she was home sick).
To make a long story short. This man's name is Kevin. We invited him to sit at our table and have something to eat. He is 47. He moved out here from Chicago to get away from his past. He has a 12 yr old daughter and an ex-wife who he doesn't see anymore. He made some major mistakes in his life and did his time. He always loved bowling and "people who bowl are the friendliest people he knows". He never knew his father and his mother's friend used to take him bowling at Diversery Bowl.
Turns out he was just lonely and we gave him "one of the greatest gifts he will get this year". Our invite to join us.
As I was leaving Kathy one of the girls in our league asked me. "How did it go from watch your purse to bye Kevin it was nice to meet you?"
My answer - It's Christmas!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Diversey Bowl! NICE!