Monday, April 20, 2009

No Longer Working

How do you say it?
I was fired, No - I got laid off, No - I got let go, No - My employment was terminated, No - The correct way to put it is according to my "letter of separation" is - I was involuntarily separated from the Company.
That happen to me on Thursday of last week. Friday is my day off, so today was my first official day of no longer working after 20 years there.
I don't know how a person is supposed to feel, but I'm good. I feel bad for the people who are still there. There was 26 people let go last week and come this morning the work was still there for someone else to do. A friend called me around 11:30 and said the place is like a tomb and NObody wants to be there. I know how that feels from the last layoffs and I feel bad for them. I loved working for the newspaper and Advertising especially. The paper is in trouble and that makes me very sad.
I left there with hugs from my Sales Reps and farewell e-mails from people from other papers that had heard the news. I felt the love and it felt good.
I don't have it in me to hold grudges or sabotage the work left, but I did check the voice mail this morning and my voice was still on my phone. I gave the stupid horses ass my passwords and everything and of course he did nothing.
So as a final farewell I went in and wiped out all the greetings for my phone and the Departments phones. I put them on there and it only seemed fitting that I be the one to take them off right? Then I turned around and changed the password that I gave him. It will take him weeks to figure out how to get into the phone system and then another week to add a greeting.

No comments: