Monday, August 17, 2009

Sophia

One thing that Mike surely misses from the city is his Office Assistant Sophia.
Saturday Sophia got married.
I knew that Mike cares very much for Sophia by the way he talks to her and about her. I now realize that she loves him too. She asks him if she looks OK (clearly wanting his approval) and his reply was "Baby, you look beautiful!" and I would have to concur.

This was the first Mexican wedding that I had been to and let me tell ya.

Things I noticed at the church:
- Mexican women like to wear tight dresses with lots of cleavage. (the bridesmaids wore long, dresses, but the maid of honor (one of her sisters) wore a short, tight, I can see everything dress. Her mother had one of those on too
- All the younger women there had shoes on that would probably put me into the hospital. (I was going to try to get pictures of them, but backed off when I couldn't understand what they were saying)
- The catholic church allows Mariachi bands in their balconies.
- The whole service, including all the music was in Spanish and I had really no clue what was happening.

We had 2 1/2 hours to kill between wedding (St. Mary's in West Chicago) and the reception at Long Island Sound banquet hall in Aurora so we stopped at this awesome pub east of East Aurora that I spotted called Paulie's. They had a wide choice of draft beers. I asked for something pale and had a great beer called Long Hammer. YUM.

Things I noticed at the reception
Again everything was in Spanish so we had no clue what was going on - even though one lady kept trying to tell Mike what was happening. Apparently he was appointed "Tell the white people what is going on" person.
- I love Mexican food and this did not disappoint - A buffet of mouth watering food

- The money dance took almost an hour, but Sophia and Richard scored big time. The bills were not limited to $1 and they had to be pinned on her veil and his lapel.


Then Sophia and Richard got up on chairs and made an arch (like the London bridges falling down game) and first the women led by the Maid of Honor ran around and through the arch and around the room really fast holding hands and then the Men did it. I was afraid to get up to get a picture.
- Mexican men and women like to dance and they all know how. The dance floor was crazy and I like the Mexican music
- Mexican people in general are SHORT - I had on flats and I towered over this people
- When we finally called it a night the parking lot was dark - NO lights on what so ever! A little scary.

1 comment:

Mich said...

Your observations are hilarious. Mexican buffet = heaven!