Friday, January 21, 2011

Fabric Selections

There really are 2 ways to choose fabrics for a quilt.

There are those quilters like me who find a theme fabric and look to match it with contrasting fabric. A green with a yellow, a blue with a brown, you get the idea.
And there are those who find that theme fabric and go in search of matching the blues with a shade of blue, reds with shades of red, and so forth. That would be Sharen.

Most of the time we can talk each other into and out of fabrics and I'm pretty sure that is why we can spend hours at the fabric store. So I am at Joannes and I find the perfect theme material (pink, purple, with teddy bears) for the twins. Carrie has their room painted a soft lavender so I'm thinking one in pink and one in purple. Easy enough.
Until I can't find the "matching" pink. Where is Sharen when I need her?

There were 21 different shades of plain pink fabric and of course I couldn't find one that I thought would work. Yes - I am not lying 21!
Now what?
I thought about scraping the whole thing and coming back with Sharen, but I press on. I came up with the great idea to go back to the front of the store and check out the Valentine material and there it was. It's not plain pink, it has a little white in it, but it's going to be perfect!


Side Story...
When my sister Vicki asked me to make aprons for the females in her family I told her yes, but she would have to go with me to pick out the fabric.
I'm thinking - What did I just get myself into - I hope she is a fabric picker like me or we could spend hours trying to match the shades of colors.
She put my fears to rest really quickly. Turns out she's like me and wasted NO time finding the perfect fabrics. Brown with pink butterflies and a pink lining for the Grandmas and pink cupcakes with black lining for the younger girls.

No comments: