Monday, November 12, 2007

Veterans Day

Mike is a marine! "Once a Marine always a Marine".

The City of Elgin is erecting a memorial for all the Veterans of Elgin. A committee was formed. Mike's boss is on the committee. You guess it! Mike gets to do all the "grunt" (military term) work. He has been spending a great deal of time this last week getting everything set up for the Veterans Day memorial ground breaking. Painting shovels, erecting a tent, setting up chairs etc. etc. so all the Committee members and the politicians can get their picture taken shoveling dirt.
I joined Mike at the ceremony just so I can see what he's been up to.
I was overwhelmed. There were men there who took the service to their country VERY seriously. The flag was presented, America the Beautiful was played by the Larkin HS Band, and a speech was given about the history of Veterans Day. Usually I tune that sort of stuff out (History is NOT for me), but I actually listened. The 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month Veterans Day was born. That's why Veterans Day celebrations are always at 11:00 am.

When the ceremony was over they played Taps. I have to admit I lost it! There was a soldier standing in front of me who jumped to attention, took his hat off and saluted. It reminded me of when they played taps at my Dad's funeral and my nephew Eddie who is in the Army stood at attention. I'm glad I was alone as I walked back to the car to go home.

1 comment:

Mich said...

Reading that just made me tear up - I am glad that I am sitting at home alone!