Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Pages 126 & 127

It's the weekend. It's cold outside. We have nothing on the agenda but a Netflix movie (Public Enemies).
What do I make for dinner? Hello Karen! New cookbook!

When I heard that Pioneer Women had a cookbook coming out, that went right to the top of my Christmas list. Well, Mike must of been paying attention and bought it for me. Shout out to Mary too, Bryan tells me that she had the same idea.

I found the perfect thing to make on pages 126 & 127 - Chicken Pot Pie.
I had all the ingredients in my cupboards, except heavy cream, and Mike was more that happy to go the store for it. I'm sure his mouth was already watering.

I also used her recipe for the pastry pie crust. (pages 128 & 129)

It turned out really, really good. Definite Do Over!

Just two things I noticed - her recipes are definitely NOT low cal. and you make enough to serve a family of six. I froze the leftovers for later.

One other thing - if a recipe says optional (in this case white wine) I seriously think they mean for you to add it. So we opened a bottle of wine, I used 1/4 cup in the pot pie and not letting anything go to waste, we drank the rest of the bottle with dinner.

I love the Pioneer Womens' website and her low down of all her recipes. Well, this cookbook is also full of pictures and stories of her husband, Marlboro Man, and her 4 kids. Worth reading all on it's own. I can't wait to try another recipe.

No comments: