Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Hickory Nuts

When my favorite neighbors were leaving on vacation they told me to go and pick their tomatoes. When I went over there I noticed that they have a Hickory Nut tree. One day I saw him out there vacuuming up the nuts in his shop vac and asked him if I could have them.
I love Hickory Nut bread -don't know why - Maybe it's the flavor of the nut or maybe it's from Bryan's great-grandmother Mazie who gave me the recipe.
Grandma Mazie and I would sit for hours picking out the flesh from these little bitty nuts while Bryan played, and she would tell me stories from her childhood.

I would complain about how hard it was and she would smile and tell me most good things are worth working hard for. She was always busy and lived just a few short days of 100 years. She was always cooking up something - from candy and cookies at Christmas to green tomato relish in the summer. I just loved to hang out in her kitchen.

So I have been cracking and picking nuts for a few days now. When I get home from work, Ray, the neighbor leaves me containers full of more nuts at the front door. I can't wait to get enough to start baking.
I'll of course take one over to him and Lu and maybe freeze one for Thanksgiving.

No comments: