Monday, November 23, 2009

She Said YES!


Last Christmas when Bryan and I were having one of our Mother/Son heart to heart talks that I love so much he talked about his future and Mary's name kept coming up. (Secretly I was thrilled). SO, I dug out the heirloom/keepsake diamond that has been in the Flory family for close to 100 years and gave it to Bryan and said "No pressure, just in case you may need it down the road." The Mary that I know would love the idea of a engagement ring with a history.
Since then whenever Bryan would call here is how our conversations would go.
Bryan - Hey ma, Guess What?
Me - She said Yes?
Bryan - No,(Bryan's voice with a sigh) I got a promotion
or I got 2 parking tickets in the last 3 weeks (I think by now he would know the parking situation around his apartment)
or I finally got a raise
or I'm going to a Cards game
or I hit a pothole and had to replace my tire
blah, blah, blah
Finally a couple of week before Labor day he called and said that Mary's parents will be up and he was going to ask Lloyd and MaryEllen for their blessing. He was soooo nervous, but he said everything went well.

The next step was looking for a setting to high lite that diamond. I suggested to him to put emeralds (Mary's birthstone) with it so IT was the only diamond on the ring. He liked the idea. While Mary was in St. Louis and on my birthday we went ring shopping. I had the most wonderful time and was very proud and honored to be helping him. We stopped in 6 or 7 stores with Mike in tow before Bryan was comfortable with asking for just what he wanted.
Bryan did an awesome job with the design and the ring looks perfect on Mary's hand. Now instead of just talking about their future they can plan it together.

Our last phone conversation:
Bryan - Hey ma - I asked her.
Me - And she said YES!

1 comment:

Mich said...

And congratulations to you!

I think it is very sweet that he took you ring shopping....AND listened toy uor advice about the emeralds. I cannot wait to see how it turned out.